Francis Bacon once said, “Nothing is more pleasant to the eyes than green grass kept finely shorn”. It is scientifically proven that having a chit-chat with the plants keeps a person miles away from depression. We all would love to keep a healthy-looking lawn all you need is some motivation. To make your lawn your superpower we are here to guide you. Follow our advice and give your garden the care it deserves. No man with a garden can hold his head high without a well kept lawn, luckily it is easier than expected, just follow these tips from our lawn care for men guide.
- Try watering late in the evening or early in the morning because cool, humid, low-wind conditions distribute water evenly and reduce the loss of water to evaporation.
- Keep in mind that your watering schedule should be based grass species, lawn health, heat, and soil conditions
- Create a watering routine and be consistent. You can also dig the soil to check if the grass needs water. Never water before the top two inches (around 5cm) of soil have dried out.
- It is important to mow at the right time and height. Never cut your lawn below two inches (5cm). Even during hot, dry days longer, grass allows the growth of longer roots, which can reach down for moisture
- Another lawn secret the pros know is that it is important to mow frequently enough that you’re never removing more than 1/3 of the grass blade height at a time.
- To not create ruts from repeatedly mowing along the same track you should vary your mowing patterns.
- Leave the grass clippings in the lawn itself because it can decompose itself and it also provides nutrients for the lawn.
Pro tip: As popularly believed, grass clippings do not contribute to thatch
3. IMPROVED DRAINAGE
- Drainage ensures that your soil is properly aerated. If this is not kept in mind too much water can choke the lawn and erode it as well.
- If the water is not properly disposed of your yard, this for sure will cause damage to your garden soil leading to what is called in popular terms “soil erosion”.
- It also prevents water pools which is very important to be taken care of because it makes the area very slippery and it can injure the ones who use your lawn
- A good drainage system also keeps the right quantity of moisture in your garden saves the plants from dying or getting destroyed.
Pro tip: You should take professional help in installing a good drainage system so that they can examine your lawn and suggest you with the best system for your lawn.
- If you are willing to dedicate some space and time to your lawn make it salubrious and luscious. Fill in brown patches with seeds. A densely planted lawn is very inviting to the eyes and is also very healthy underfoot.
- A healthy lawn also combats the chances of pests and diseases. If your lawn has a history of pests then you need to start for seed varieties that grow well in your climate.
- Over-seeding is the key if you are looking for a thick carpet of lawns. If sowed in the right amount and time you will get a thick plush of greenery in your own house where counting the blades become impossible.
- A robust lawn also combats soil erosion which is very important in order to maintain a healthy lawn.
- To have a healthy lawn you surely need a richer soil quality and for that it is important to use fertilizers. Soil loses its natural nutrients over time, these are required for it to survive. Fertilizer replaces and replenishes the essentials your lawn needs.
- The richness of soil is examined by seeing how much of Phosphorous, Nitrate, and Potassium it has. These three are more like the food we need to feed soil along w adequate water and sunshine.
- Fertilizers can be spread by you, yourself instead of acquiring professional help which makes it easy to use. It is also cost-effective.
- Fertilizers are the most important part of your lawns diet it also helps the grass to grow faster and healthier.
- A lawn scarifier is the best bay to de-thatch your lawns or to make your lawn moss free. A strong metal rake will also work. Thatch is a layer of organic matter that builds up between the leaves and the soil, consisting of dead leaves, grass and root stems. Mosses cause the worst of lawn problems and breed where there is excess moisture, shade, etc. Weeds can be brought into the lawn by birds, pets or animals moving around the garden.
- Reduces the amount of moss in the turf surface and removes undesirable thatch layers.
- Increases the density of some grasses.
- It is important to ensure the soil conditions are suitable for scarification. Mowing the lawn before the process will remove the debris. It is advised to scarify on a dry day.
- If you are undertaking this operation for the first time it is advisable to take professional help.
These 6 steps will help you maintain a healthy lawn. But remember it at all times, your lawn is like a baby it needs to be monitored and fed much often than we think. We hope this article helps you to have your little succulent lawn. Happy gardening.
Build a Garden Pond
Ponds are probably the easiest way of adding a wildlife feature to a garden. This post details the steps involved in building a simple garden pond.
How To: Mortising a Door for Hinges
Mortising a door for hinges and doing it right is the most important part of hanging a door. We show you how.
Best Car Battery Charger For Your Home Garage
A car battery charger is essential for the maintenance of our vehicle and keeping it properly charged is essential to it's function and service life.
How to Build a Mail Box
Building your own mail box is an easy and fund way to get exactly the look you want, especially when you cannot find you one like in the shops.